CANDE Forum > CANDE Interface Elements
CANDE Interface Elements
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

Mhenning
1 post
Mar 12, 2019
4:53 PM
Does anyone have a good understanding of implementing interface elements? I have read both manuals and am still having trouble getting my interface elements to work in a way that I would expect.

Anyway I have created a 4 side concrete box culvert using a level 3 mesh. Its a rather complex system so I need to manually create the mesh. however now I need to accurately model the interface between the soil and concrete box. I started at the bottom of the box. For ease I will explain a single interface element. Joint I of the interface element is joint 1 which is part of the concrete beam element. Joint j is joint 16 which is part of the soil quad element. Finally joint 31 which is not part of any element, per the CANDE manual. All 3 joints have the same X and Y values.

As this is the bottom of the bottom of the box I have the angle set at -90, CoF as 0.5, and tensile limit as 1 lb/in.

I then run the model and everything converges but the deflections I am seeing are very weird. Joint 1(part of concrete beam element) has a vertical deflection of roughly 300in downward due to self weight while joint 16 (part of soil quad element) has a vertical deflection of roughly 0 as expected. The lateral deflections do match up as expected.

I am of the understanding that the interface element is somewhat of a spring, where compression force is transferred due to contact, tensile force is transferred up to the limit set, and shear force is transferred based on the CoF input. Therefore I would suspect that for most scenarios joint 1 would have similar deflection to joint 16.

I have tried all different combinations of angles, CoFs, and tensile limits. Nothing has worked. Can anyone with more knowledge help?

Last Edited by Mhenning on Mar 12, 2019 4:54 PM
Alanis
4 posts
Jul 11, 2019
8:30 AM
google
Marlaina
1 post
Jul 12, 2019
7:45 AM
The discussion on this topic is not as coherrent as I expected it to be. I have to say that my essay typer doesn't work so I have to write on the computer right now. There's nothing of any worth here, so I don't have anything to write.
star19
10 posts
Jul 30, 2019
3:12 AM
Apple products are revered for its quality, precision and great design. SRSG started its operations as Apple technology partners in the year 1997.

apple reseller in guwahati

apple reseller in Mumbai

apple authorized service center in delhi

FM Channel License

Broadcast consultancy

ipad reseller delhi

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.